Sunday, March 1, 2009

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT BY FYODOR DOSTOYEVSKı



This book completely captivated me from the start.If you read one murder novel in the rest of your life, read "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's only 500 pages but it speaks volumes.
"Crime and Punishment" is the story of a young man,Raskolnikov,who decides to kill an old woman for purely philosophical .Raskolnikov lives in Russia,Sankt Peterburg.He is a poor student.He believes that if he kills the woman he will be doing a favor to the society and with her money he can live better.It's about the horrible physical and psychologial effects on the Raskolnikov's mind.He kills two women(the rich woman and her sister)After this event he becames ill - he's delirious,he fells quilty.He is angry about these feelings because, as a superior human being he shouldn't be having these kinds of emotions.The novel continues through his emotional hell and finally he fells in love.He meets Sonia.But what is most fascinating is not the crime,the obsession.The book shows a lot of true and false moral values.Through the book I felt like the murderer,I felt as if I had committed the crime.Dostoyevski tells the story very intense that I was looking through Roskolnikov's eyes.While I was reading the book I think the question 'What Justifies The Murder?'.I figure out that we all have dangers in our minds,we try to justify our actions.After this book I believe that whoever commits a crime takes the consequences.If you hurt one,the life hurts you.Punishment comes after crime.
I think,Crime and Punishment is one of the best classics I have ever read.After this book I decided not to kill even an ant.I don't want to have guilty conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment